Drive for Uber
Driving for one of the two globally expanding app-centric taxi alternative services, Uber can be a very lucrative way to earn money on nights and weekends (working only when you want).
Uber is a smartphone app which provides on-demand service to users. It connects willing passengers to taxi cab drivers. Taxi drivers use their own cars when providing taxi service and Uber gets 20% of the fare. The total process is very simple, registered Uber users asks for a taxi using the Uber app, an Uber driver then dispatched to the passenger’s location and assist the passengers to reach his destination. The passenger’s credit card is used as the sole payment method.
Uber is not any traditional taxi business because it doesn’t employ any taxi drivers or owns any taxi. Uber basically connects the passenger and taxi driver and takes a percentage of the fee from the fare.
Anyone with a driving license and a car can apply for an Uber driver in any Uber covered cities. After screening, the driver is enlisted in the Uber system and given an Uber iPhone. This provides a steady income to anyone with a car without additional investment.
What the basic requirement for the uber drivers
- You must be at least 21 years old
- Have access to a 4-door car that is model year 2007 or newer in most cities
- In-state auto insurance with your name on the policy
- In-state driver license
- Licensed in the US for at least one year, or three years if you’re under 23
- You must have a social security number
- In-state plates with current registration (commercial plates are acceptable as well)
- Pass a background check and a driving record check
Registered Uber users download the Uber app to their phones and if they need a taxi, they call a taxi via the Uber app. They can also track the taxi on their phone as it approaches. This service is convenient for the passengers, provides them relatively low cost comfortable service.
Uber set the taxi fares. Premium fare during peak hours and flat rate for off peak hours. Passengers pay through their credit cards and don’t have to pay any cash to the drivers. The fare is based on car type, distance and peak hour. Payment is secure because passengers pay only via credit card using Uber app.
usually 80% to the driver and 20% to Uber. Even after a 20% pay cut, the taxi drivers earn more than the traditional taxi services. In some cities Uber had to reduce its percentage because of competition from similar companies like Lyft and Haio.
Uber is a highly profitable company and revenues are doubling every 6 months.
Strength of the Uber
- Uber app is user-friendly
- Calling a taxi cab with the smartphone is easy
- Uber has no previous competitors in the taxi service business
Weakness of Uber
- Liability questions and insurance issue, more than any other start-up services.
- There is a demand for such service, but overhead cost and costly legal battles threaten the business.