Interior Design Business
Someone out there is remodeling their kitchen and needs to know which shade of granite will match best with mahogany flooring. That someone will often be happy to pay you for your advice.
Many specialize in a particular type of design, like kitchen design or lighting solutions, and many augment their income by selling decorative products like accessories and furniture.
Interior designer companies are responsible for planning the design of both living and commercial facilities; they master the craft of tuning their ideas or concept into a reality. The projects that interior designers handle can be broad in scope. It could range from structural modifications to the selection of matching furniture, curtains or blind, wallpaper and lighting et al.
There are so many ways you can use your design talent. For you can:
- Decorate homes of varying architectural styles to give them a fresh, new look.
- Design custom interiors for a homebuilder’s model homes.
- Work with builders’ clients who need assistance making color choices for their newly built home (and maybe also get their business when they need help decorating it).
- Provide commercial design services.
- Function as a product-driven designer by both marketing products and designing interiors (the most common way to start out).
Process for the Interior Design
- Fielding calls from potential clients concerning design projects
- Scheduling consultation appointments and product installations
- Meeting with clients to get details about their project
- Estimating time and product costs, then writing a bid
For Estimated you should consider:
- The size of the job and the number of hours you’ll need to complete it
- The cost of product
- The services, in addition to your own, that may be needed
- The number of outside helpers you will need
- The deadline for completing the job
- Your markup
- Measuring rooms
- Researching and ordering accessories, furniture and hard goods like window treatments
- Picking up and delivering products from wholesalers, design showrooms or receivers
- Meeting with subcontractors such as installers
- Balancing the books, including dealing with accounts payable and receivable
- Ordering sample books and office supplies
Start Up Investment:-
- The basic startup costs for interior design businesses are fairly low, especially if you already own a computer and have reliable transportation in good condition.
- Basic expenses will include the sample books mentioned earlier, business cards, software, and promotional tools like brochures.
- You’ll also need a design portfolio and funds to have professional photographs of your interiors taken.
- Other necessities include insurance, office equipment and services, and initial advertising.
Customers / Clients for the Interior Design Consultant
- Construction Companies
- Property Development Companies
- Home Owners
- Corporate Organizations
- Realtors —for their clients’ homes
- Home Improvement Companies
- Commercial builders of office and home complexes
- Home builders associations
- Furniture stores
- Paint and wall paper stores
- Flower shops
- Real Estate Owners, Developers, and Contractors
- The Government (Public Sector)
- Religious Organizations (Church hall and other places of worship)
- Television Stations (studios and offices)
- Introduce our interior design company by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, realtors, religious organizations and key stake holders in the real estate industry.
- Promptness in bidding for interior design contracts from the government and other cooperate organizations
- Advertise our business in relevant business magazines, newspapers, TV stations, and radio station.
- List our business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Attend relevant international and local expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Create different packages for different category of clients in order to work with their budgets and still deliver excellent design and services
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage direct marketing approach
- Encourage word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients